A Gathering of Crazies... Come join us!!!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

LCROSS - U.S. Spacecrafts Set To Crash Into the Moon

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gloric
Admin

Number of posts : 1039
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: LCROSS - U.S. Spacecrafts Set To Crash Into the Moon   Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:47 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/10/08/probe.moon.crash/index.html

(CNN) -- Two U.S. spacecraft are set to crash on the moon Friday. On purpose. And we're all invited to watch.

NASA's Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite is scheduled to drop its Centaur upper-stage rocket on the lunar surface at 7:31 a.m. ET.

NASA hopes the impact will kick up enough dust to help the LCROSS probe find the presence of water in the moon's soil. Four minutes later, the LCROSS will follow through the debris plume, collecting and relaying data back to Earth before crashing into the Cabeus crater near the moon's south pole.

The LCROSS is carrying spectrometers, near-infrared cameras, a visible camera and a visible radiometer. These instruments will help NASA scientists analyze the plume of dust -- more than 250 metric tons' worth -- for water vapor.

The orbiting Hubble Space Telescope and NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter will watch, and photograph, the collisions. And hundreds of telescopes on Earth also will be focused on the two plumes.

NASA is encouraging amateur astronomers to join the watch party.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seko
Seko
Seko

Number of posts : 1335
Location : A little room inside my head where the green hamster live that tells me to do things. (835.7504)
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: LCROSS - U.S. Spacecrafts Set To Crash Into the Moon   Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:52 pm

Well, do any of us have an AWESOME super telescope, so we could theoretically watch?

View user profile

LCROSS - U.S. Spacecrafts Set To Crash Into the Moon
Page 1 of 1